Mexican-Style Chick-Pea Salad
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 3 fresh jalapeno chiles
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
- 4 cups drained canned chick-peas (2 19-ounce cans)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice plus additional to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
Rinse chipotles. Wearing rubber gloves, separately seed and mince chipotles and jalapenos. Mince onion and garlic. Peel, seed, and chop tomatoes. Rinse and drain chick-peas, and in a large bowl stir together all ingredients except additional lime juice.
Chill the salad, covered, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. Season salad with salt and add additional lime juice. Serve salad at cool room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine