- 1/2 pound linguine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup minced onions
- 2 teaspoons minced gingerroot, or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon chili paste, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Oriental sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
In a large pot of boiling salted water cook the linguine until it is al dente and drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables: In a large nonstick skillet set over moderately high heat, warm the oil until hot, add the onions, gingerroot and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the broccoli, carrots, celery and salt to taste and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes more. Add the five-spice powder, chili paste, soy sauce and 1/2 cup of pasta cooking liquid and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the sesame oil and chutney. Add the drained pasta and stir to combine.