Ceci alla Siciliana
- 6 cans (14 ounces each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups celery, including some of the chopped leaves
- 1 cup red onion, minced
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced Calabrian chiles, or more to taste (can substitute with red chili flakes)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 loaves ciabatta or Italian bread
- Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
In a large bowl, stir the chickpeas, celery, onion, parsley, chiles, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar. Season, to taste, with salt. Serve immediately or let stand for 1 or 2 hours and re-season just before serving.
Slice the bread into 1/2-inch thick slices. Toast on a preheated grill or in an oven for 4 to 5 minutes. Brush 1side with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon some of the chickpea mixture over the bread slices and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali