Frisee Salad with Pears, Blue Cheese, and Port Vinaigrette
- 1 cup port
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cups loosely packed young frisee (curly endive), torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups ribbon-cut radicchio, soaked, drained, and dried
- 1 crisp red pear, halved, cored, and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 -ounce chunk blue cheese, frozen
- 1 cup candied walnuts, or other candied nuts
Simmer the Port in a small saucepan until reduced to 2 tablespoons. Let cool, then whisk in the red wine vinegar, shallot, salt and pepper, to taste. Gradually whisk in the olive oil.
In a large bowl, toss the frisee, radicchio, and pear. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Drizzle with the dressing; you probably won't use it all. Using the medium holes of a box grater, shave the blue cheese in a fine snow-like shower over the salads. Scatter the walnuts on top and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.