- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 large red onion, peeled and small diced
- 4 1/2 medium carrots, peeled and small diced
- 1 1/2 medium eggplants, small diced
- 1 1/2 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and small diced
- Gray salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange zest
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons basil chiffonade
Heat 2 large nonstick pans over high heat. Divide the olive oil between the 2 pans, when the oil is hot add the vegetables all together and season with gray salt and pepper, to taste, and chili flakes. Saute all of the vegetables together for about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the pine nuts and orange zest and continue cooking for another 5 minutes or until all of the vegetables are soft and the flavors are well infused.
Meanwhile in a small saute pan combine the vinegar with the sugar and the raisins, bring to a boil and reduce until slightly syrupy. When the vegetables are cooked and still hot combine with the vinegar syrup and the basil, taste for salt and pepper and serve hot as a side dish.