Olive Oil Cake
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur, rum, brandy or whisky
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for oiling pans
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons anise seed
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons lemon or orange marmalade
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil 2 (10-inch) round cake pans.
In a nonreactive saucepan, reduce the orange juice over medium heat to 1/4 cup. Add salt, stir, and let cool.
Lightly beat eggs with paddle attachment in standing mixer on high for 1 minute until frothy. Add milk, sugar, liqueur, olive oil, reduced orange juice, lemon zest, anise and 1 teaspoon rosemary. Mix for 1 minute until well blended. Mix in the flour, baking soda and baking powder until well blended and smooth.
Pour half of the mixture into each oiled cake pan. Bake for 1 hour. Place on a rack to cool. Run a knife around the edges and place it on a plate. While the cake is still warm, smooth 3 tablespoons of marmalade onto the top of each cake. Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon rosemary evenly over both cakes. Garnish center with rosemary sprig. Cut each cake into wedges and serve.
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen