- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Gray salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 romaine lettuce hearts, torn
- 2 to 3 medium heads radicchio, torn
- 1 large head cabbage, shredded
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed of large stems
Prepare the dressing by placing the fennel seeds in a small saute pan over low heat. Toast, tossing occasionally, about 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Crush the toasted seeds with the edge or a pan, in a mortar and pestle, or seal in a plastic bag and roll with a rolling pin.
In a saucepan, place the honey, cider vinegar, salt and pepper, and toasted fennel seeds. Bring to a boil, stirring well. Remove from heat. Whisk in olive oil and season, to taste.
Place the romaine, radicchio, cabbage, and watercress in a large serving bowl. Add warm dressing and toss well. Serve immediately.