Shelling Bean Stew
- 1/2 pound dried cranberry beans-soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 pound pancetta grilled and cut into 4 pieces
- Gray salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tomatoes halved, seeded, grilled, and then chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 quart veal stock or beef broth
- 1 cup canned black eyed peas
- 1 cup canned green French flagelot beans
- 1 cup blanched fava beans
- 1 cup blanched peas
Soak cranberry beans overnight and keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
Drain the soaked cranberry beans and add to a large pot with about 5 cups of water. Bring to a simmer and cook slowly until the beans are just tender. Drain and reserve.
Meanwhile in another large pot heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, carrot, celery and minced garlic to the pot along with the pieces of grilled pancetta. Season with salt and pepper and cook the vegetables with the pancetta until soft and caramelized, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the chopped grilled tomatoes to the vegetables and cook for another 3 minutes, breaking the tomatoes up while cooking. Add the thyme, bay leaves, and the veal stock. Let the stock come to a simmer and let reduce by about 20% about 10-15 minutes.
Add the cranberry beans, black eyed peas, and French flagelot beans to the pot and let simmer slowly for about 10-15 minutes more. Finally, add the fava beans and peas and stir in to warm up. Season with gray salt and pepper and finish by drizzling in all of the remaining olive oil.