- 1 pound sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup dry sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 1 cup finely shredded raw root vegetables, carrot, beet, turnip
- 2 ounces wasabi flavored caviar, (flying fish roe)
- 1/4 cup wakame (Japanese pickled seaweed)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Heat a large saute pan over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the hot pan and heat 30 seconds. Add the scallops and sear 1 side until well-browned, about 3 minutes. Do not shake the pan or move the scallops until ready to turn. Using tongs turn the scallops to brown the second side. Cook an additional 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and add the shallots to the still hot pan. Return to the heat and cook for 30 seconds before adding the sherry. When the sherry begins to boil swirl in the butter. Do not let the butter boil or separate.
Toss the vegetables with the remaining olive oil. Make a small mound of vegetables in the center of a plate, place 3 small mounds of pickled seaweed around the perimeter and place a scallop on each mound of seaweed. Top the scallop with wasabi caviar, spoon some sherry butter over the top and serve.