Eastern European "Chile"
- 2 tablespoons lard or bacon fat
- 2 pounds cubed lamb shoulder
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 yellow pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 2 Hungarian hot peppers, cored, seeded, and diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1 quart lamb or chicken stock
- 1/2 pound cooked white kidney beans
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced for garnish
In a large stockpot, heat the fat over medium heat. Add the lamb meat and brown. Once the meat is brown remove and reserve. Reduce the heat to low and add the onion, garlic, and diced vegetables. Season with salt and pepper, and sweat for 5 minutes. Return the reserved browned meat and then add the tomatoes and paprika and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add stock and simmer for 3 hours until lamb is tender. Add the cooked beans and check seasoning. Place in bowls and garnish with a tablespoon of sour cream and sliced scallions.
Recipe courtesy Michael Symon