- 1 pound, 1 inch thick ham steak
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dry sherry wine
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely sliced green onions
Remove rind and trim off all but 1/4-inch of outer fat. Score the fat edge at 1-inch intervals so the steak does not curl during cooking and divide ham steak into 2 serving pieces. Marinate ham in soy sauce and sherry wine. Remove ham from marinade. Reserve marinade.
Dry the ham steak and lightly brown in butter for a minute or 2 on both sides. Add ginger, water and reserved marinade to the skillet and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Remove ham to a serving platter. Boil the liquid down until syrupy and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the scallions and spoon sauce over steak.