- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 pound halibut steaks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup or more fish stock or chicken broth
- Steamed carrot threads or pea pods for garnish
- Black sesame seeds for garnish, optional
Heat the butter in a skillet just wide enough to hold the fish. When hot add the vegetables and saute for a minute or so just to get them sizzling. Add the wine, cover and cook over very low heat until wilted, about 10 minutes.
With a slotted spatula, remove haibut from the liquid and divide into two portions. Set each portion in the bottom of a deep soup plate and garnish with carrot threads or snow peas; season the broth and spoon it over the top; garnish with black sesame seeds if you wish.