- 8inch long French or Italian bread cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups tomato sauce, fresh or jarred
- 8 ounces to 1 pound grated or sliced Fontina or Mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces smoked black forest ham, torn into strips
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter cut into pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Soak the bread in the milk for 15 minutes. Line the bottom of a 2 to 2 1/2 quart shallow casserole with a layer of bread soaked bread. Top with a layer of tomato sauce and mozzarella and some strips of ham. Continue layering, finishing last layer with bread topped with tomato sauce.
Beat the eggs with Parmesan and pour the mixture over the bread. With a fork, pierce through layers until egg mixture is absorbed by bread. Dot the top with butter and bake for 45 minutes or until top if browned and puffed.
While this is baking make a nice vegetable salad to accompany this dish.