- 1 pound sea scallops, rubbery appendage from the side of each sea scallop removed cornstarch for dusting scallops
- 1 tablespoon each of Oriental sesame oil and vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili paste with garlic
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
Heat the sesame and vegetable oils in a skillet over moderate heat. Very lightly dust the scallops with cornstarch and saute them, on one side only until quite crusty on one side. When crusty, put a lid on the skillet and finish steaming the scallops by steaming them without overcooking them.
Remove them from skillet and transfer them, browned side on top of the lentils. To the skillet add the rice vinegar, chili paste and 2 teaspoons soy sauce and reduce until syrupy, spoon over the chili scallops and dust with chives.