- 1 cup buttermilk, plus more if needed
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 10-ounce package frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 scallion, finely sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
Meanwhile sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
Combine the bell pepper, with corn kernels, egg yolks and scallion and season with freshly ground black pepper.
Whip the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Preheat the griddle. With a few swift strokes fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients (add more buttermilk if needed) and fold in the egg whites. Drop about 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Serve with ham steaks.