- 18-20 ounce swordfish steak(s), skin removed
- Optional - hardwood chips, wok, foil and cake rack for impromptu indoor barbecue smoker
- 4 tablespoons room temperature unsalted butter
- 1 scallion, finely sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Vegetable oil
Make a deep pocket in the side of the steak or steaks. Beat butter with scallion, ground cumin, salt and pepper to taste, cheese and drops of lemon juice. Preheat grill or broiler.
(You can first give the swordfish a "barbecued" smoky flavor in the following way. (Open windows wide.) Line a wok with foil. Set some hardwood chips in wok. Set a cake rack 2 inches above hardwood and set swordfish on rack. Heat wok and when smoke rises, cover fish lightly with foil, then with wok lid and smoke for 4 minutes. Remove from heat.)
Stuff fish with mixture and grill or broil (2 inches away from heat source) 3 to 4 minutes a side or until just cooked through). Cut into thin diagonal slices and serve over roasted pepper salad.