- 1 pound cultivated, shiitake, or portobello mushrooms (choose one or several types)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, optional for braising stems
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs like parsley or tarragon, optional
Trim mushroom stems. If you are using shiitakes or portobellos and stems are not too tough, separate stems from caps and cut stems into thin slivers. First braise them in broth for 10 minutes before sauteing to tenderize stems. Keep caps whole or coarsely slice. If using cultivated mushrooms, simply trim 1/4-inch off of bottom stem; wipe caps with damp cloth of brush and slice coarsely. Heat oil or butter in large wide skillet and saute shallots for a minute. Add mushroom slices or mushroom caps and saute just over high heat until browned. (If appropriate, add stems and broth and evaporate over high heat.) Season to taste with salt and pepper and add herbs if you wish. To serve spoon over grilled chicken; use as base for tortellini soup or pizza topping.