- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 link of chorizo, cut into thin slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped canned plum tomatoes, with juices
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 ounces (net) shelled deveined shrimp, each cut into thirds
- 2 tablespoons minced pimento
- 1 cup thawed frozen petite peas
- Salt and crushed red pepper flakes
- Cilantro sprigs, optional for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a deep wide skillet. Add the chorizo and saute on both sides until crisp. Add the onion and bell pepper and garlic. Cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until tender.
Add the tomatoes, and juices and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken, shrimp and pimentos and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until chicken and shrimp are cooked through. Uncover, add the peas and simmer uncovered for a minute just to heat them through. Season to taste with salt and red pepper flakes. Spoon stew in soup plates and center some rice in the middle; garnish with leaves of cilantro if you wish.