- 1 cup medium grain bulgur wheat
- Water to cover
- 4 cups (packed) fresh parsley
- 1 cup (packed) fresh mint leaves
- 1 to 2 bunches fresh chives
- Grated lemon zest and juice of 1 lemon (or more to taste)
- 1/3 cup (or more to taste) extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 vineripened tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
Cover bulgur wheat with cold water, by an inch, and soak for 30 minutes. During this time, in a food processor mince the parsley (you need 2 cups chopped) and mint (you need 1/2 cup chopped) and cut the chives (you need 1/2 cup snipped).
When the bulgur is plumped up, drain and transfer it to a clean cloth or a double layer of cheesecloth. Wring out excess water; the grains should be moist and tender, not watery.
Transfer the bulgur wheat to a bowl and add the chopped parsley, mint and chives. Stir in the lemon zest, juice and olive oil. Toss well to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more lemon zest, juice or olive oil to taste. Transfer the grains to a bed of lettuce leaves or use as a bed for the halibut; top with tomatoes.