- 2 pounds russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 8 ounces thick sliced bacon cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons each chopped parsley, sliced scallion and sour pickles (gherkins or French"cornichons")
- 6 Romaine lettuce leaves, washed and cut into chiffonade
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Boil potatoes, in their skins for about 35 to 40 minutes or until just tender (but not mushy). Drain and let cool 10 minutes or until you can handle them to peel
Meanwhile cook the bacon until crisp. Remove 1/3 for garnish, leaving remaining in skillet. Use this time to chop parsley, scallion and pickles.
When potatoes are cool enough, but still warm, peel and cut them into 1/2 inch cubes and transfer them to a mixing bowl with romaine lettuce.
Reheat bacon in skillet. Add garlic, broth and vinegar and bring to a boil. Remove skillet from heat and add parsley, scallion and pickles, season with salt and pepper and immediately toss with potatoes and romaine lettuce. Sprinkle reserved bacon over the top and serve immediately.