- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups finely chopped carrots
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Sour cream and finely sliced scallion or chives, for garnish
Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Cook onions, covered until soft. Stir in curry powder. Add carrots and broth; bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until carrots are very tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Puree in food processor or blender with orange rind and juice.
Return soup to saucepan (boil down if too thin; add water if too thick); adjust seasoning. Portion soup into bowls and garnish with a dab of sour cream and a sprinkling of scallion.