- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 pound Yukon gold or Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream, butter, or chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grated orange zest, fresh horseradish (optional)
Cover the sweet and Yukon gold potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes or until just tender. Drain the potatoes and return them to the saucepan, over low heat. With a potato masher, puree the sweet and regular potatoes with the butter or cream or broth if you are on a diet. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Here too, you can zap up the adults' portion. Remove half of the kids portion and leave it plain; add to the adults' version either grated orange zest, fresh horseradish or your own favorite seasoning.