- 2 medium size onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup canned green chiles, chopped
- 2 tablespoons each sesame seeds and dryroasted unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, cloves
- 1 teaspoon each of ground cumin and dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground chili powder
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 2inch long by 1/3inch strips
- 1/2 pound smoked skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2inch long by 1/3inch strips
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated or cut into fine pieces
- 8 large flour tortillas
- Sour cream, and chopped cilantro for garnish, optional
Saute the onions and garlic in the oil for about 10 minutes or until tender. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and green chilis and simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Meanwhile in a dry iron skillet toast the sesame seeds and peanuts for a few minutes or until they begin to smell roasted, then add the cinnamon, cloves, cumin, oregano and chili powder and toast for a few seconds. Remove and cool slightly, then puree with the raisins to form a paste.
Add the chicken to the sauce and simmer 3 minutes to cook through; add the smoked chicken and simmer another 3 minutes to warm through. Add the chocolate and simmer a minute until melted. Stir in the paste and simmer until thickened to the proper consistency. Meanwhile warm the tortillas on the oven.
To assemble, put some spoonfuls of chicken and sauce in the middle of a warm tortillas and roll up, top with more spoonfuls of sauce, sour cream and cilantro.