- Butter and flour for cake pans
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (Dutch process, European style)
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (any kind)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring dissolved in 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 recipe boiled icing (see below)
- 1/3 cup flaked dried coconut, optional
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter and flour two 9-inch cake pans. Shake off excess flour.
Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Combine the vinegar, buttermilk and red food coloring.
Alternately add buttermilk and flour mixture to the creamed butter, stirring well after each addition. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick, when inserted in the middle, comes out dry. Remove the cakes from the oven and cool in the pans for 5 minutes. Remove from the pans and transfer to a cake rack to cool. When thoroughly cool, brush off the crumbs and ice with a boiled icing of your choice and dust with coconut if you wish.