- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon style mustard
- Large garlic clove, peeled
- 1 pound penne or medium sized pasta shells, boiled until al dente, drained, rinsed, cooled and patted dry
- 3 cups cooked (1 cup uncooked) French whole green lentils, cooled and patted dry
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced red or yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup each chopped flat leaf parsley and fresh basil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, left whole if small or halved
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, optional
In the bottom of a mixing bowl combine the oils, vinegar and Dijon mustard. Pass the garlic through a press into the dressing and season it well with salt and pepper. Add all the ingredients but the pine nuts and toss to blend. Adjust the seasoning; add a bit more of whatever you think the salad needs.
Top each portion of salad with the pine nuts.