- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 small carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 red and yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/2 cup each thawed frozen petite peas and corn kernels
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup very finely chopped almonds
Soak quinoa in a bowl of cold water and rub the quinoa between your hands. Drain and repeat the process a couple of times. Combine quinoa with 8 cups of cold water and bring to a boil.
Lower heat and simmer from 8 to 10 minutes or until just cooked and grains have turned translucent. Take care not to overcook; quinoa should have some crunch to it. Drain but do not rinse and transfer to a 13 x 9-inch pan to cool; fluff with fork and hold until ready to eat.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add ginger and carrot and saute for about a minute, stirring frequently. Add bell peppers and saute for 2 minutes to soften. Add peas and corn and saute a minute to heat through. Add quinoa and saute long enough, stirring, just to reheat. Season to taste with salt and pepper
Remove the quinoa from heat and stir in scallions, mint and almonds; serve immediately.