- 8 ounces firm tofu, weighted down or use 8 ounces boned skinless cubed chicken
- Pinch allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Generous tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups broccoli florets only, parboiled for 1 minute
Cut the tofu into 3/4-inch squares and marinate for 30 minutes, if you have the time, in a mixture of allspice, orange zest, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
In a separate bowl mix the ketchup, sherry wine, Worcestershire, brown sugar and cornstarch.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large deep skillet over high heat.
When hot add the mushrooms and stirfry for a minute to begin to soften. Add the garlic and stir fry for a few seconds or until fragrant. Add the tofu and broccoli and stir fry for a couple of minutes or until heated through. Stir in the sauce and simmer for 30 seconds. Season and serve at once over rice or orzo pasta.