- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (16-ounce) cans white cannellini beans, drained
- 4 fresh sage leaves, cut into chiffonade
- 8 ounces escarole or romaine lettuce, cut into chiffonade
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- salt and pepper
Heat olive oil in a 4 quart saucepan. Add onion and carrots, cover and simmer 5 minutes or until tender. If vegetables stick to saucepan, add some water, cover and continue to simmer.
Add the garlic and saute for a moment. Add 1 of the cans of beans and mash with a potato masher. Add the other can of beans along with the broth and bring to a simmer with the sage. Simmer 10 minutes or until as thick as you like it. If too thick, add more water; if too thin, boil down until some of the liquid has evaporated.
Stir the escarole or romaine lettuce into the pot, cover and simmer 5 minutes or until lettuce is tender. Uncover, add parsley and adjust seasoning. Serve with bread and salad for a complete meal.