Michele's Foundation Chowder
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups canned plum tomatoes, chopped; juices reserved
- 4 to 6 small to medium carrots, cut into 1/2inch thick rounds
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups broth (fish, vegetarian or chicken, depending upon protein you are adding)
- 4 mediumsized boiling or "waxy" potatoes
- 1 package (10 ounces) thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried herbs such as thyme, marjoram or oregano
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds firm fleshed monkfish cut into 1 inch cubes, or 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes or 4 small firm bean curd cakes (tofu) or 2 cups canned or cooked beans such as red, chick peas or white beans.
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs such as parsley, dill or cilantro
Heat oil in medium saucepan. Add onions and celery and saute for a minute to get them sizzling. Cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer gently stirring on occasion until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes and juices, carrots, wine and broth. Cover pan and simmer gently for 10 minutes or for however long it takes to peel the potatoes and cut them into 1inch chunks. Add the potatoes and corn to the saucepan with salt to taste, dried herbs and Tabasco sauce.
Cover and simmer until all the ingredients are tender about 30 minutes. Meanwhile dice whatever protein you are using and chop the fresh herbs. Add the tofu and simmer 3 minutes to heat through. Adjust the seasoning, remove from heat and add the fresh herbs.
Recipe Courtesy of �Michelle Urvater