- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces, back removed and saved for stock
- 2 cups diced chorizo
- 2 Spanish onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Valencia rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pinch saffron
- 3 cups chicken stock, hot
- 1 (16-ounce) can peeled tomatoes, drained and crushed by hand
- 1 cup Spanish beer
- 16 large shrimp fresh shrimp, cleaned and de-veined
- 16 Manila clams, scrubbed
- 2 lobsters tails, shell-on and halved lengthwise
- 16 mussels, scrubbed (try and mix different varieties, if possible)
- 1 cup fresh shelled peas
- 1 cup Spanish olives with pimientos
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, peeled and sliced thinly
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat oil in a large skillet or paella pan. Season and sear chicken pieces, then remove from the pan. Render the chorizo; add the onion, peppers, and garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the rice, saute until golden, stirring so it won't burn. Add the seared chicken back to the pan, with the wine and saffron, and stir until all the wine is absorbed. Add 2 cups of chicken stock, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring until the rice absorbs the stock. Add the last cup of chicken stock, tomatoes, and the beer. Add the chicken, shrimp, clams, lobster, and mussels, tucking them into the rice.
Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes until mussels open. Add the peas and olives and bake for 2 more minutes. Top with thinly sliced roasted peppers.