- 3 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, julienne
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 12 eggs, beaten in a large bowl
- 2 baking potatoes, like russets, peeled, sliced in 1/4 inch thick rounds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 artichokes, boiled, cleaned (hearts only in quarters)
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped marjoram, plus more for garnish
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 cup grated cheese (Parmesan or Jack)
Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large oven-proof saute pan on medium high, add 1-tablespoon olive oil. Saute the onion and garlic until golden and add directly to the beaten eggs in the bowl.
In the same pan, still on medium high heat, add 1-tablespoon olive oil, add potatoes, and saute until golden. Season with salt and pepper, add directly to the egg and onion mixture.
In the same pan heat 1-tablespoon olive oil, add artichokes, toss in the pan until golden, and add to egg-onion-potato mixture. Sprinkle the herbs, lemon zest, salt, and pepper on top of the egg mixture.
In the same pan, heat 1-teaspoon oil on low heat. Add 1/2 of egg mixture. Top with 1/2 of grated cheese. Add the rest of the egg mixture and the rest of the cheese. Cook until just set, and place gently in the oven until cooked through, about 25 minutes.
Allow to stand at room temperature about 10 minutes. Place a large plate over the pan, flip the omelet onto the plate, and serve, garnished with the fresh herbs.