- 6 cups old fashioned white bread
- 4 ounces (1 stick) butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 ribs, chopped
- 1 pound crab meat
- 2 tablespoons crab boil seasonings
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, parsley, chives or chervil
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
Toast bread cubes for 10 to 15 minutes in a 325 degree F oven until golden. Transfer to bowl.
Saute 1 pound meat, crumbled or cubed in skillet over medium heat until brown, about 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer meat to bread bowl.
In same skillet, melt the butter. Add onions, and celery to skillet. Saute until soft, about 10 minutes. Combine softened vegetables, herbs, spices, dried fruits, nuts, and remaining vegetables with bread/meat mixture.
Add just enough stock to moisten bread mixture. Pack the neck and cavity loosely with stuffing, folding the neck skin under and fastening with a skewer. Or lightly pack stuffing into large, shallow, stoneware baking dish. For a stuffed bird: Roast turkey at 325 degrees F for 15 minutes per pound, or until turkey temperature reaches 180 degrees and juices run clear when thigh is pierced.
For loose stuffing: Drizzle with stock, cover and bake at 325 degree F for 20 to 30 minutes. Uncover and brown an additional 10 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.