Middle Eastern Bean and Roasted Vegetable Salad
- 1 can (15 ounces) each of chick peas and small red kidney beans
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 1/2 cups salted boiling water
- 2 tablespoons "tahini" paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon each of ground cumin and ground coriander
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup packed parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest and 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Mixed greens such as; torn escarole, watercress and Boston lettuce lightly tossed with a salad dressing of choice
- Storebought grilled or roasted vegetables to taste, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted peppers, cut into a fine julienne
Chill the chick peas and beans for as long as possible. Steep couscous in boiling salted water.
In a blender or food processor or by hand, blend until smooth the tahini paste, garlic, cumin, coriander, lowfat yogurt, parsley, olive oil, grated lemon zest and juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to a mixing bowl.
Add the chilled beans to the dressing and walnuts. Fluff up the couscous with a fork and add to beans and walnuts; toss the ingredients together and adjust the seasoning.
On each dinner plate make an outer wreath of dressed greens, an inner wreath of mixed grilled vegetables of choice and center couscous and chick peas in the middle. Garnish top with roasted red peppers.
Recipe Courtesy of �Michelle Urvater