- 6 cups of chopped onions
- 1 cup schmaltz (rendered chicken fat)
- 2 pounds chicken livers
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of quatre-epices (equal parts white peppercorns, ginger, cloves and cinnamon, ground together in a coffee or spice blender)
- 9 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 to 7 scallions sliced into thin rings
- 6 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 to 3 large pinches of pepper
- Pickled shallots
- Minced chives
- Rendered chicken skin pieces
- Sieved egg (a peeled hard-boiled egg pressed through the coarse holes of a box grate or zester)
Fry the onions in schmaltz, add the chicken livers, thyme and bay leaves and cook for 10 minutes, then let the mixture cool. Add the quatre-epices and eggs to the livers. Place the mixture in a food processor and process to a coarse consistency. Stir in the scallions and season with the salt and pepper.
Decant the chopped liver into a serving bowl and garnish with shallots, minced chives, rendered chicken skin pieces and grated hard-boiled egg.
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not it for home use and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.