Mile High Pie
- 4 ounces shelled walnuts, minced
- 12 ounces Nice biscuits or any light, crisp sugared biscuit cookie, ground
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened and more to grease pan
- 1 pound split peas
- 14 egg whites
- 1/8 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 drops vanilla extract
- 1/2 gallon round container vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 gallon round container strawberry ice cream
- 16 ounces chocolate sauce
Combine walnuts and biscuits. Add butter and mash thoroughly.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 10-inch diameter springform pan and press biscuit crust into base and 2-inches up side. Cover this crust with waxed paper, cut to fit bottom exactly. Fill pan with split peas, up to height of sides and bake "blind" for 1 hour. Let cool while still filled.
When crust is cooled, removed pea weights and paper. Meanwhile, whip egg whites with cold water and salt until peaked. Fold in sugar a little at a time. Add vanilla and keep cool.
Unmold ice cream from containers and cut horizontally through middle of each to yield 4 discs total. Place disks in pie crust, alternating strawberry and vanilla flavors. Top with meringue, letting it fall all around the ice cream. Set in freezer for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Remove pie from freezer and place in oven to brown meringue tips. You may also use a blowtorch instead. Serve with chocolate sauce.
Recipe adapted by Graham Kerr