c.1996, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved
- 6 servings
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup extravirgin olive oil
- 2 heads butter lettuce, pale inner leaves only, torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 large hardboiled eggs, whites cut into 1/4inch dice and yolks pressed through a sieve
In a glass bowl, whisk together the mustard, salt, pepper, vinegar, and shallot. Drizzle the olive oil over in a slow, thin stream, whisking all the time until the dressing is emulsified.
In a large bowl, combine the lettuce with enough dressing to coat generously. Place a mound of the salad on each of 6 chilled plates and garnish with some of the diced egg white and a dusting of the sieved yolk.
Recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman