Minestrone Soup with Italian Sausage
- 1 pkg. Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage links
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 med. carrots, peeled and diced, 1/4 inch
- 1 med. onion, peeled and diced, 1/4 inch
- 3 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 med. zucchini, halved lengthwise then 1/4 inch slices
- 1 large Idaho potato, peeled and diced, 1/4 inch
- 48 oz. chicken broth
- 14 .5 oz. beef broth
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped and divided
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. course ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans
- 4 ripe roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pasta, small size, short macaroni or mini bowtie, uncooked
- *Freshly grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
Cook the sausage links in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. After 4-5 minutes turn the sausages, add 1/4 cup water, cover and cook for another 8-10 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer the sausages to a cutting board and allow to cool before coin slicing.
Over medium heat, add olive oil to the same large soup pot. Cook the garlic, carrots and onion until wilted, stirring occasionally. Add the cabbage, zucchini, potato, both stocks and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and add 2 tablespoons of the parsley, oregano, basil, pepper and salt to taste. Simmer uncovered over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
Add the sausage, beans, tomatoes, and pasta, simmer until the pasta is done (about 8 minutes). Serve with a sprinkling of fresh parsley and grated parmesan cheese.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.