- Canola oil, to cook
- 6 blue crabs, shell off (save 4), prepped (gills removed) and cut in half
- 1 lotus, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fermented black beans, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 2 jalapenos, de-stemmed and sliced
- 4 scallions, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup shaoxing wine
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoon naturally brewed soy sauce
- 4 cups hot long grain rice
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
In a hot wok fill 1/3 with oil and bring to a high temperature. In a large bowl, season the crabs, crab shells and lotus and toss well with the cornstarch. Blanch the crab/lotus in the hot oil for only 45 to 60 seconds and set aside on paper towels. Dump out the oil leaving 2 tablespoons and stir-fry on high heat the beans, garlic, ginger, jalapenos and scallions for 1 minute. Season mixture and add back the crab/lotus and deglaze with wines. Reduce by 50 percent and add soy. Check for seasoning.
PLATING: Fill the shells with hot rice. On large dinner plates, place shell in the middle and surround with 3 crab halves and lotus. Spoon on sauce.
Fruity, dry Pinot Gris, Trimbach or Sokol Blosser
CRAB AND AVOCADO PARFAIT:
- NOTE: Need small PVC molds 1 to 1 1/2-inch diameter by 2 to 2 1/2 inches tall.
- 2 lemons, zest (minced) and juiced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound picked lump meat
- 1 large avocado, fine diced
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 small, ripe tomato, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- Fleur de sel and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chive batons, for garnish
In a small bowl, whisk together the juice, zest, Dijon and honey. Drizzle in the oil and season. In another bowl, lightly toss together the crab, avocado, chopped chives and add half of the vinaigrette. Check for flavor. Lightly rub extra virgin olive oil on the inside of the molds and fill with the crab mixture. Keep in refrigerator. Season the tomatoes.
WINE: Fruity, dry Pinot Gris, Trimbach or Sokol Blosser
Yield: 4 servings