- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon crab boil seasoning
- 1 quart iced soda water
- 1 dozen shucked Chesapeake Bay oysters
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup naturally brewed soy sauce
- 3 Thai bird chiles, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Mixed greens, for plating
Preheat a fryer or wok filled 1/2 way with oil to 400 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, Old Bay and slowly add the soda until a pancake batter consistency is achieved. Dip each oyster in the batter and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Season lightly with salt. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the vinegar, soy, chiles, sugar and sesame oil.
PLATING: Cover a large platter with greens and place a small bowl of dipping sauce in the middle. Surround with hot oysters.