- 4 whole freshwater fish, such as rainbow trout, 4 small fins removed from bottom, eviscerated, and scaled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large lemons, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound pancetta, sliced into thin strips, like bacon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 thick slice ginger
- Three Cabbage Rice Salad, recipe follows
Using a sharp knife, score the fish on each side. Season the inside with salt and pepper, and place 2 or 3 lemon slices inside the cavity of the fish. Rub the outside of each fish with the slice of ginger, and season the outside of the fish with salt and pepper. Wrap each fish with enough pancetta to cover the flesh, by laying the pancetta side by side in a shingled rectangle, and rolling the fish up in it.
Prepare an outdoor grill or preheat the broiler. If cooking outdoors, spray the grill with nonstick cooking spray. Grill the fillets over high heat, turning once, until the pancetta is crispy, about 4 to 6 minutes per side or until the fish is cooked through.
Three Cabbage Rice Salad:
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, whole leaves
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup scallions, green parts only, cut 1/8-inch thick
- 1 cup red cabbage, cut into 1/8-inch ribbons
- 1 cup green cabbage, cut into 1/8-inch ribbons
- 1 cup Napa cabbage, cut into 1/8-inch ribbons
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice, cooked with 1 teaspoon paprika, and cooled to room temperature.
- Salt and pepper