- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced cepes, chanterelles or oyster mushrooms (optional)
- 2 cups leek julienned
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 minced serrano chile
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 (4 ounce) package bean thread (rice vermicelli), blanched, refreshed and cut up
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 package lumpia wrappers. Other types are egg roll and spring roll wrappers. I
- prefer lumpia.
- Eggwash (1 egg and 1/2 cup of water)
In a hot wok or saute pan add the oil followed by the garlic, ginger and chile. Be careful not to burn. Add the hoisin and briefly saute to get the raw taste out. Add the shiitakes, leeks and bean sprouts. Check for seasoning. Let cool in a strainer and drain well. When cool, add the cilantro, scallions and bean thread. Lay out a lumpia wrapper with corner facing you. Place a small mound at the bottom, moisten edges with eggwash and roll bottom corner towards the middle. Fold in both sides and continue rolling. Finish roll and let rest. Deep fry at 350 degrees until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Serve with mint dipping sauce.
- MINT DIPPING SAUCE
- 1/4 cup fresh mint chiffonade
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup thin soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.