- 1 (5 to 6 pound) whole chicken, washed, patted dry (preferably organic)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked calrose/sushi rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1 minced jalapeno (or 2 serrano chiles)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Garnish with scallion oil, recipe follows
Pre-heat oven to 550 degrees. Rub chicken with oil, then salt and pepper. Place chicken, breast side up, in the oven and cook for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. May have to rotate the chicken for even coloring. As chicken is cooking, in a saute pan, add a little oil and quickly brown the garlic, ginger, scallions and jalapeno. Add mixture to cooled rice. Rice should end up a bit sticky. Check for seasoning. When chicken is fully browned, stuff with rice and turn the oven down to 300 degrees. Cover with foil to prevent burning. Chicken will take another 45 to 55 minutes. Chicken is done when one can move the wing back and forth with great ease. Allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- 2 bunch scallions, green part only
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups canola oil
In a pot of boiling, well salted water, blanch scallion and spinach for 30 seconds and shock in ice bath. Squeeze out water and place in blender cup with salt and sugar. With blender on high speed, add canola oil in a steady stream. Blend for 5 minutes until cup gets slightly warm. This oil may be done a day in advance and will keep in the refrigerator for at least 1 week.