- 2 cups master seafood mixture, recipe follows
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces chopped, frozen butter
- 1 package shumai wrappers
- Lemongrass Broth, recipe follows
In a food processor, add seafood mixture, egg, and butter. Pulse until the butter is incorporated but still visible (small pieces). Place 1 tablespoon of mixture on a wrapper and bring up the sides going around the mound. Continue with the remaining mixture and wrappers. Drop, open side up, from 6 inches on a flat surface to flatten the shumai bottoms. Steam shumai for 8 minutes.
Into 4 soup plates, place 3 shumai each. Ladle 4 ounces broth around the shumai. Serve and enjoy.
Wine Suggestion: Goldwater Dog Point Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 1998
Master Seafood Mixture:
- 1 pound rock shrimp, diced
- 1 pound Chilean sea bass, diced
- 1 pound bay scallops, diced
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and white pepper
In a food processor, add shrimp, bass, scallops, egg, ginger, and sesame oil. Pulse only a little bit to bring ingredients together. Transfer to a large bowl and fold in scallions and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
Lemon Grass Broth:
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeno sliced with the seeds
- 4 slices peeled ginger
- 6 stalks lemongrass, sliced, white part only
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Dash white pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
In a 2-quart casserole, saute onions, jalapeno, ginger, and lemongrass. Deglaze with fish sauce and reduce by 80 per cent. Add stock and dash of white pepper. Reduce by 20 per cent on a slow simmer, about 45 minutes. Strain and keep hot. Check for seasoning. Squeeze in lemon juice right before serving.