- 4 striped bass
- 1/4 cup ginger julienned
- 1/4 cup scallion julienned
- 2 cups Sauteed shiitake mushrooms (in 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic)
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 4 large napa cabbage leaves for steamers
Score both sides of the bass with a sharp knife. Open bass and lay out skin down. Season well. Spread on a thin layer of shiitakes followed by some ginger and scallions. Fold bass back together and place in steamer lined with napa cabbage leaves. Steam for 10 minutes until fish is fully cooked. Drizzle a little soy syrup and flash with hot curry oil.
- SOY SYRUP
- 2 cups thin soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 lime juiced
Combine all and reduce at a simmer until a syrup consistency is achieved, about a 60 to 70 percent reduction. Let cool.
- CURRY OIL
- 1/4 cup curry powder
- Water to make runny paste
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup canola oil
Make paste and slowly add oil. Let stand for 1 hour to settle. Use top, yellow oil for garnish.