- 3 pounds mixed Hawaiian fish, eviscerated, scaled and hacked into 2-inch pieces, keep heads whole
- Pink Hawaiian salt
- Black pepper
- Canola oil, to cook
- 2 habaneros, de-stemmed, finely sliced
- 2 onions sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 5 slices ginger, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2 cups, peeled whole tomatoes (canned tomatoes are ok)
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- Water, to cover
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1/2 pound Gai Choy, cut into 20-inch pieces
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cups steamed soft and peeled poi, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced green scallions
Season the fish with salt and pepper. In a stockpot coated with oil, sear the fish. Add the habaneros, onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, thyme, bay leaves, and kaffir leaves. Cover with water, check for seasoning and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1 hour.
Squeeze in lime juice and gai choy right before serving. Check for seasoning. To make the poi, heat the cream with the garlic and ginger and reduce by 20 percent. Add the hot taro and mash together smooth. Season and check for flavor.
Beverage: Lillikoi Hawaiian Beer.