- Romaine, banana or Napa cabbage leaves for steaming
- 1 dozen shucked oysters
- 1 tablespoon ginger, fine julienne
- 1/4 cup scallions, finely sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Fresh coarse cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup curry oil (1/4 cup curry powder, water to make a paste and 1/2 cup canola oil, whisk together and let stand for 2 hours. Use only the top yellow oil.)
- Rock salt, for plating
Prepare a large steamer basket lined with romaine, banana leaves or Napa cabbage. Top each oyster with ginger, scallions, a squirt of juice and black pepper. Steam hard for 3 to 5 minutes until the oysters are warm to hot in the middle. Meanwhile, heat the curry oil to very hot. Place the steamed oysters on a bed of rock salt.
PLATING Flash each oyster with 1 teaspoon of oil. Serve as soon as possible.
WINE: Veuve Clicquot Champagne, Blanc de Blanc