Ming's Sesame Tofu and Cucumber Salad with Soy Sauce Eggs
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons thin soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallions, green part only
- 1 packages firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 package enoki mushrooms
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded and 1/16-inch slices
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- 6 soy sauce eggs, recipe follows
- Soy sauce eggs:
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 slice ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
In a mixing bowl, whisk together vinegar, soy, tahini, sesame oil, and sugar. Drizzle in canola oil to emulsify. Season. Toss with scallions, tofu, mushrooms, and cucumbers. Check for flavor. Plate salad and garnish with wedges of soy sauce eggs.Soy sauce eggs:
Soft boil the eggs to the just-coagulated stage, and placed immediately in cold water.
Tap eggs gently all over to cover with cracks.
Add the eggs to pot filled with 1 cup soy sauce and 1 cup water (enough to cover 6 eggs), 1 slice of ginger, and half teaspoon of five-spice powder. Simmer over low heat for 25 to 30 minutes, then let steep for another 1/2 hour.
Crack open the eggs and peel them, then slice into wedges.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.