Mini Shrimp and Black Eyed Pea Quesadillas
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 10 to 12 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and sliced laterally in half
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 fresh jalepeno, seeds and membranes removed, diced small
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 package of 6-inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chiffonade
- 1 cup black eyed peas, canned or frozen can be used, cooked until warm and tender
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- 2 tomatoes rough small chop
- 1/8 cup fine chiffonade cilantro for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
In a large saute pan, heat sesame oil over high heat and add shrimp when it quivers. Toss for approximately 1 minute, then add garlic, jalapenos, lime juice and soy sauce. Cook just until shrimp are slightly firm, a total of 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and place in a bowl.
Heat a medium saute pan over high heat and add tortillas. Do not add any oil. Cook for approximately 5 seconds on both sides. Repeat with the number of tortillas desired for guests.
Lay out tortillas for assembly on a sheet tray. Begin with spinach to establish a layer between shrimp mixture as it is moist. Next apply black eyed peas, scallions, tomatoes, cilantro and top with cheese. Flash under broiler until cheese is melted. Remove from broiler, fold in half, cut into wedge pieces and arrange on plate. Top with chipotle sauce and scallions.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.