Miso Glazed Black Cod in Kyoto Red Miso Crab Broth
- Miso Glazed Black Cod:
- 1/3 cup sake
- 1/3 mirin rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/3 cup yellow miso
- 4 (6-ounce) black cod fillets
- Miso Crab Broth:
- 4 tablespoons red miso paste (recommended: Kyoto)
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 thumb-sized knob ginger, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat, picked over for cartilage and shell
- 3 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup enoki mushrooms
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Smelt egg, for garnish, optional
Preheat a broiler to medium.
When ready to serve, broil the cod, 6 inches from the heat, until fish is opaque and lightly caramelized on top, about 5 to 7 minutes.
In a medium saucepot over medium heat, add the miso paste and slowly stir in the boiling water. Add the ginger, garlic and vinegar and bring to a boil. Strain broth from solids and return the broth to the heat. Add the crab, mushrooms and the scallions. Cook until the crab is heated through and mushrooms are tender, about 3 minutes. Serve with the broiled cod topped with smelt egg, if using.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Sasha Perl-Raver, 2010