- Olive oil to cook
- 4 cups basmati rice
- 5 minced large shallots
- Sliced Chinese sausage (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon tumeric
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 pound Prince Edward Island mussels, scrubbed
- 1/2 pound clams, manila, count necks, and little necks, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 ounces chilean bass, diced 1/2 inch thick
- 6 ounces salmon, diced 1/2 inch thick
- 6 ounces halibut, diced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 cups snow peas, blanched
In a hot oven-proof skillet coated with olive oil, saute rice, shallots, sausage (if using),1 tablespoon garlic and 1 tablespoon ginger for 4 to 6 minutes. Season. Add tumeric and stir for 2 minutes. Add 6 cups stock and check for seasoning. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until rice has fully absorbed the broth. Fluff with a fork, re-check seasoning.
In a hot large saute pan coated with olive oil, saute garlic and ginger. Add mussels and clams and cook until they start opening. Deglaze with wine and add fish and remaining cup of stock. Add the snow peas 30 seconds before fish is cooked through.
THAI BIRD CHILE AIOLI:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon minced Thai bird chiles
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
In a food processor, add yolks, chiles, and garlic and puree. Slowly drizzle in oil to emulsify. Add juice and season. Good in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
PLATING: Serve the seafood mixture over the rice in the skillet, drizzled with aioli.
Wine Suggestion: Bandol Rose Domaine Tempier, 1998